Friday, March 17, 2006

Back from So Cal

I’ve taken a bit of a hiatus from writing here, I suppose. Not that there isn’t a lot to write about, there always is…

When we were coming back from California we saw a group of about 20 Buddhist monks at Burger King. Thing 1 heard them talking and said “They’re speaking Spanish!” I said no, honey, I think they’re speaking another language besides Spanish. One of them heard us talking and told us the name of his language. I don’t remember what he said. So this was about a month and a half ago. Then the other day we were looking at a package of cookies that came from Japan. There were Japanese characters on it and Thing 1 asked me what they said. I said I don’t know, because I don’t read Japanese. She said “Or Chinese.” I said yup. I don’t read Chinese. She said “Or sing-hi.” I said what? She said Sing hai. That the orange men spoke.
It took me a minute to remember the monks… but as far as I know that could very well have been what the man told Thing 1 his language was called. I don’t know if it’s it, but of course the more I think about it, the more I think that might have been it.

Hubby has been writing his book lately, and working from home. It is awfully nice to have him around, though it has changed our schedules somewhat. It is a bit of a challenge to keep it quiet around here, and keep the girls from going in to interrupt him. We have gone to the park and the Children’s museum more than we might have otherwise, to keep them occupied.
Last Thursday, for example, I took the girls to the Children’s museum to keep them out of Hubby’s hair. On the way back Thing 2 got angry that I hadn’t put her cup in the correct cup holder on her new car seat. Her unhappiness escalated into out and out screaming and crying, which I dutifully ignored. Finally, after much struggling, she opened the correct cup holder and put in her cup herself. She announced through her tears that she was so very proud of herself, and that her eyes were taking the tears back in. Then she told me, quite seriously, “Mommy, you complete me.” Of course I laughed and after I told her that was a very sweet things to say, asked her where she’d heard that. On TV was all she could tell me.

We had a marvelous time in Oceanside - aside from the whole being robbed thing.  We went for two weeks, and aside from a couple of days at the beginning when Hubby flew to New York, he was there the whole time. We went to the zoo without him, but all of us went to the wild animal park together with Grandma and Papa. We spent a lot of time on the beach and hanging out at the Condo, and the four of us spent three wonderful days in Disneyland and Californialand. I wanted to break up that time, but it kind of worked out that we needed to do it three days in a row. By the time we were done the girls were pretty tired, but we had a lot of fun while we were there. We learned not to take them to the Blue Bayou, and to make sure we bring a stroller for one or the other of them, and Daddy’s stomach isn’t nearly as strong as mommy’s, though he did not actually throw up, he just became nauseous after the 30 or 40 straight rides on the toon town roller coaster. We found a rather nice hotel across the street from the park, and would go there again though we might need to make time for the girls to swim in the pool. It’s just hard for me to justify paying for a night when we’re swimming in the pool since they have one at my folk’s condo. However, we’re not walking right by it at the condo. Tigger and Mickey mouse both made a really big deal over Thing 1 and Thing 2… Mickey kept gesturing to them and really took a lot of time with them. All in all it was a really nice trip, though Hubby was ready to be gone after two weeks. My mother gets to him after a while…

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! YES, YOU!