Saturday, September 12, 2009

Color It Hers

We had Thing 1's friend party yesterday. She had only wanted to invite five people, three boys, and two other girls, with Thing 1 making six kids. Of course with Thing 2 and a couple other younger siblings of the invited kids it came to 9 kids.

I was very happy Thing 1 agreed to have the party somewhere other than our house, so I could avoid all the cleaning and hosting stuff. We went to Color Me Mine and they painted their little objects.
Of course they don't want to paint a plate or cup, they all wanted to paint a statue, which will sit on the shelf and get dusty, to eventually commit suicide with a big crash.

But they had a great time. I am all about having the girl's birthday parties somewhere else.... my laziness is showing.

I did have to provide the cake. When I asked Thing 1 what kind of cake she wanted that morning before school, she ran to a book my sister had given me about cupcake creations and pointed to an aligator in the book. She's not much of an aligator person, she's much more into dragons, which aren't that far away from aligators, especially in terms of cupcakes. So here's my cake.
The teeth wouldn't stay on - they're cut up marshmellows. I made wings out of licorice and fruit roll ups, but they were so big and heavy they wouldn't stay up either. I ran out of time before I could make a go of some smaller wings. The ears are licorice and fruit roll ups too. Some wings about the size of the ears might have worked.

3 comments:

  1. what a great cake! will you make one for my birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake was gorgeous, the pot pie - well! I am getting into cooking after watching "Julie, Julia." We'll see how long the thrill lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake was gorgeous, the pot pie - well! I am getting into cooking after watching "Julie, Julia." We'll see how long the thrill lasts.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! YES, YOU!