The new house needed a facelift. When I would show pictures of the house around I noticed I kept adding "We didn't buy it for its curb appeal." It would seem I'm embarrassed by how the house looks.
Fortunately that can be fixed. So we started fixing. A good coat of paint will work wonders, and will protect the exterior siding, which is in really bad shape anyway. Also there were some trees that were dead or dying, and some that were so close to the house it looked like a dog in heat surrounded by its would be admirers.
It took over a week to paint, a couple days to redo the exterior wood because of course when the carpenter started trying to put new steps on, he found the boards he needed to attach them to were falling apart, so he had to build whole new front steps. The trees came down in one day, the same very busy day that the painters and carpenters were here as well. Our house looked like a movie lot with nearly a dozen trucks parked out front, a huge dump truck in the driveway, and people moving all around.
The tree guys delayed a day because Thing 1 had asked so nicely to be able to see the tree outside her window coming down. We filmed it.
The pictures are trapped on my other computer. Long story. But the renovations have begun.