Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sick, Sick, and yes, Sick

Thing 2 has had a runny nose for nearly a week. She woke up this morning sounding hoarse, and honking when she coughs. If she were a teenager or older and thought she'd be okay, I'd have sent her to school. I know I've functioned for days on that level of sickness before. But she's a first grader, so I kept her home.

The dog still has the trots. He wakes me up two or three times a night to be let out. My resulting exhaustion - this is the third night in a row for this, has shortened my patience. I love that he's not messing on the floor, but I really want him better and not waking me up all night. I called the vet and they said to bring in a stool sample. They'll let me know tomorrow if he has a parasite. In the mean time he's on a bland (white) diet of yogurt, rice, and cottage cheese, which is supposed to be easier on his digestive tract, I guess.

I had to take sick Thing 2 on my errands to the vet, the bank, and the grocery store. By the time we got back it was lunchtime. I fed her, then insisted she lay down for a nap. For half an hour or so I did a little cleaning up, answered some emails, and was getting ready to go lay down myself for a much needed nap when the phone rang. It was the school calling to tell me Thing 1 is in the office with a headache, flashing spots in her vision, and a numb hand.

CUSS!

I think I got my first migraine when I was 15... or 16. Here she is 8 years old!

I went up to the kids' room to wake Thing 2 up to tell her I was going to get her sister, but she was already awake. When I returned, and went up to tell her I was back, she confessed she hadn't slept at all since she laid down. She was ready to get up. Sigh.

Thing 1 had a similar story. I told her to sleep, closed all the doors and shushing Thing 2 when she'd talk loud, but Thing 1 came out 15 minutes later saying she'd had a great nap. No you haven't, try again. Then the dog barked to be let out, I hurried back so he wouldn't wake her, only to have him barking outside 10 minutes later. I hurried to shush him, but Thing 1 already was awake and whining she couldn't get back to sleep. I let her get up too.

Here I am with 3 sick charges, and all they do is complain and keep each other awake. Sigh. Why is it that the only one of us who REALLY REALLY wants a nap (me) is the only one who can't take one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! YES, YOU!